Wednesday, August 1, 2012

So what did I think about Bele Chere?

As promised, I'm here to post about my Bele Chere experience.

I spent about 4 hours perusing the packed streets and shops in Asheville, NC during this past weekend during the annual event - Bele Chere. As a newcomer to this event, I must say I was disappointed with the outcome. There are the usual activities which can be found at any festival, such as vendors, street art, tent shows, food (lots and lots of food!) and more. The activities were geared towards an older age group. I did not see too much for younger kids. Regardless, there was something offered for everyone during the event. My main interest was the selection of music that would be offered. Did I mention I was disappointed.

Was a great line-up available as far as musicians are concerned? It sure looked that way via the website; however, when you get there the wait is much longer than expected. You must plan well in order to see/hear the musicians/bands you're interested in. Most of the time was spent walking and occasionally coming across a few street musicians or small bands. In my opinion the selection of music was extremely thin; considering the amount of time between each major performance. The down time was a little extreme for me.

For Asheville to be as eclectic as it is, there was no reason why more music could not have been offered. The performances do not have to take place via the main stages either. If the issue is funding, I'm sure more musicians and bands would not mind the opportunity to set up where ever allowed and grace us with their talent.

Still...this was a great event and it couldn't occur in a better place than in the beautiful city of Asheville.  I do plan to go next year also. Maybe by then a few of my suggestions will reach attentive ears.

Thanks for reading!
Bryant Belin


No comments:

Post a Comment